NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR TECHNICAL EDUCATION
National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) was established by the National Council for Technical Education Act, Cap. 129 (No. 9 of 1997). The Council is a body corporate with a legal mandate of coordinating provision of technical education and training. The Council is also mandated to establish an efficient national qualifications system that will ensure that products from technical institutions are of high quality and respond to changing needs as well as technological innovations in the world. The Council is hereby seeking to engage a well self-motivated individual who is capable to work independently to fill in the following vacant position:
1.0 JOB DETAILS
- Job Title: Executive Secretary
- Appointment: National Council for Technical Education
- Responsible to: NACTE Council
2.0 JOB SUMMARY
The Executive Secretary (ES) is the Chief Executive Officer of the Secretariat. The ES is responsible to the Council for implementing the policies of the Council including planning, coordinating and controlling all functions and activities within the framework and instructions laid down by the Council in accordance with the Act. The ES is further responsible to the Council for the general direction, leadership, administration and supervision of all Council’s staff and operations. The ES is expected to manage and develop NACTE to an effective, efficient and credible institution to meet its functions and objectives as stipulated in the establishing Act, Cap, 129 (No. 9 of 1997) and any subsequent amendments.
3.0 MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A potential candidate for this post should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Holder of a Doctorate Degree (PhD) in one of the following areas:
- Science and Allied Technologies,
- Business, Management and Planning,
- Health and Allied Sciences,
- Teaching and Learning Facilitation,
- Any other related academic qualification.
- Must have a minimum of ten (10) years working experience at senior managerial
level in education management at tertiary education level in accredited technical and
vocational training institution(s).
- Must have ability to solicit funds from other sources apart from the Government
4.0 MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main duties and responsibilities of the Executive Secretary shall include to:
- Develop policies for approval by the Council.
- Ensure the implementation of policies and procedures approved by the Council.
- Ensure effective and efficient liaison with other relevant bodies with a view of providing strategic advice on the development of technical education and training.
- Organise and service meetings of the Subject Boards and the Council,
Serve as Accounting Officer of the Council and accountable for the resources entrusted to it.
- Direct the operations of the Secretariat.
- Develop Strategic Plans, Annual Plans and Budget taking into account the Council’s Vision and Mission with a view to making NACTE effective and efficient.
- Ensure that the Council’s initiatives are consistent with Government policies,
- Submit to the Council at the end of every three months a reports on:
- Its performance and other related information.
- The operations of the Council.
- Such other information as the Council may direct.
- Supervise, coach and mentor subordinates to ensure their performance is aligned with the Council’s goals and objectives.
- Promote awareness and an understanding of the Council’s mission, objectives,
- policies and programmes among all stakeholders.
5.0 REMUNERATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Successful candidate will be paid according to NACTE salary scale and will hold the office for a period of three (3) years renewable upon satisfactory performance review.
6.0 MODE OF APPLICATION
- Applicants, who meet the stated requirements for the advertised post and would like to serve the Tanzanian Public Service through NACTE, should send their applications to: The Chairman, Search Team for Executive Secretary NACTE, Ardhi University, University Road, and P.O. Box 35176 Dar es Salaam.
- Signed application letters must be accompanied by:
- Proof of Tanzanian citizenship (affidavits will not be accepted).
- Applicant’s current CV and two passport size photographs in colour.
- Photocopies of official academic transcripts and professional certificates.
- Names and full contact addresses and daytime telephone numbers of three referees.
- All applications must be posted by registered mail preferably EMS.
- Applications should reach the addressee latest by the close of business on 4th
- The title of the position applied for must be marked on the envelope to make the application valid.
NOTE: Only short-listed candidates who meet the above criteria will be contacted and those who will not hear from the Chairman of the Search Team should consider themselves unsuccessful.